How to Choose Proper Footwear
posted: Dec. 04, 2017.
An average day of walking results in a cumulative force equal to several hundred tons inflicted on your feet. Because of this, your feet are subject to injury more than any other part of your body. So you can see how important it is to protect your them, and the best way to do this is to wear proper footwear. Your podiatrist is available to offer options for the best shoes for your feet.
Quick Shoe Tips
- Have your feet measured while you’re standing
- Always try on both shoes and walk around the store
- Always buy for the larger foot; feet are seldom exactly the same size
- Don’t buy shoes that need a “break-in” period. Shoes should be comfortable immediately
- Shop for shoes later in the day
- Select a shoe with leather upper, stiff heel counter, appropriate cushioning and flexibility at the ball of the foot.
- Don’t rely on the size of your last pair of shoes because your feet do tend to get larger